For our spring term Class Acorns are excited to explore the changing seasons and look closely a winter. We are crossing our fingers for a little snow to help us understand our key texts ’10 ways to hear snow’ and ‘what is snow.’ We have also started our new poetry scheme ‘The poetry basket’ where children are introduced to action poems aiding their recognition of rhyme and action story telling.
We look forward to welcoming our new starters moving up from 2gether and continue our learning.
In phonics we will be continuing our understanding of phonological awareness by tuning into environmental and instrumental sounds and looking at syllables with a large focus on rhyme. Our 5 term children will be staring our formal RWI phonics where we will begin our first set of sounds. Set 1 phonic sounds; m, a, s, t, d, I, n, g and o. These sound cards will be sent home over the half term with information about the RWI and how you can support your child at home. Once we have covered the first set of sounds your child will receive their very first sound blending book where they will begin reading independently.
In our maths we will be continuing consolidating our understanding of numbers to 5. Our new starters will start by exploring number songs to 5 and building up number fluency by counting to 5 and beyond. In our mathematical vocabulary we will be exploring positional language and describing a sequence of events. Our 5 term children will be moving on to comparing quantities and subitising numbers to 3 and some beyond.
In our understanding the world topic we will be looking at different countries in the world, we have several children with dual heritage and would love to hear more about these in class. Please send in any photos or artefacts that we can share with the children to enrich their understanding and experience of these different countries of special significance.
Dates for the diary
Tuesday 24th January – Chinese New Year
Monday 6th – Friday 10th February – Children’s Mental Health Week
Friday 10th February – Valentine’s Day Lunch
Further ahead…. Tuesday 28th February 1pm-5.45pm – Parents Evening
What can I do to help my child?
- Please try spend a little time each reading with your children, repetition is key! Ask them to retell you the story n their own words and ask them to point to the words and show which direction we read the words.
- Record in your child’s reading record once a week to let us know how they are getting on at home, what discussions you have had and what hey can tell you about the story.
- Please ensure you child has a water proof and wellies in school as we try to go outside even in poor weather.
- Encourage your child to write or draw in their adventure book (homework) book once a week. We often share these during key person time on a Wednesday and Friday.
- Check the school Instagram page to keep up to date with the activities we have been doing at school.
- Please send in Family pictures to add to our family display boar in our home corner.
Please feel free to come and speak to come at either morning drop-off or afternoon pick-up if you have any questions. If you would find it easier to email me, feel free to do so on email@example.com